Monday, June 27, 2005

Even Liberals are Upset

Property rights used to be a conservative cause, but now, even liberals are upset. Like this one:
I had a rush of patriotism last week, built on seeing the World Trade Center site for the first time since 9/11, then hiking through Battery Park to glimpse the Statue of Liberty and later trundling up to Boston and summoning echoes of the Revolutionary War.Or maybe the rush came because I'm 300 pages into John Adams' biography. Whatever. I felt like a Yankee Doodle Dandy by way of the O.C.

The point is, I was high on my country last week. Then,
wouldn't you know it, the U.S. Supreme Court had to come along and ruin everything. In a 5 to 4 decision, the justices gave cities wider berth through eminent domain to claim private property for business development. The majority
was led by the court's so-called liberal wing. If that's liberalism, for the first time ever I feel like sending Rush Limbaugh a few bucks.

I think that a significant number of Democrats would support efforts to curtain eminent domain abuse, and for this, we have Kelo to thank.
(No, they don't have to send money to Rush).